Re: login problem

On Wed, Dec 16, 1998 at 12:42:22PM -0800, Richard Klosinski wrote:
> i got a problem with logging in. when i login, i get:
>
> PAM_pwdb[248]: check pass: user unknown
>
> also, when i run passwd (with no args), i get a segmentation fault.
>
> when i run passwd root , the following happens:
>
> PAM_pwdb[249]: cannot identify user root(uid=0)
> passwd: User not known to the underlying authentication module

This happens if you're using a source for information via nsswitch which
pwdb doesn't know about.  Somewhere in passwd, there's a dereferencing of
the result of getpwnam() without checking that it's not NULL, which makes
it go boom.  I *think* it's been fixed in more recent versions.

If that's the case, you'd be better off using pam_unix_* modules instead
of pam_pwdb, so that PAM knows about all of the users libc does.

> are the users and passwords stored in a place other than /etc/passwd when
> pam is used?

Only if /etc/nsswitch.conf doesn't list "files" on the passwd line, and
(if you're using pam_pwdb) /etc/pwdb.conf doesn't mention "unix".

Hope this helps,

Nalin