interaction of SSL and PAM

Recently I wondered about a possible interaction of PAM and SSL. With
the advent of client-side certs, certificates are increasingly used for
authentication purposes. Unfortunately, current SSL enabled programs, if
they support authentication, interact very badly (not at all, that is)
with PAM. My current case-in-point is, of course, Apache-SSL.

How do the protocol schemes of SSL and PAM fit together? Could there be
an interaction?

Any clues/information/work-in-progress?

---Ingo Luetkebohle
dev/consulting Gesellschaft fuer Netzwerkentwicklung und -beratung mbH
url: http://www.devconsult.de/ - fon: 0521-1365800 - fax: 0521-1365803