Q - can pam module use system()?

Hello,

I'm writing a PAM auth module to automagically create the user account (only
after a successful Kerberos auth).  I want it to run Red Hat's useradd
command.  Using the system() function in a simple C application, useradd runs
fine.  But from a PAM auth module the system() function fails.  I've read the
man pages on the execve family functions and the popen function, but I have no
idea which functions are supposed to work called from within a PAM shared
library module or how to make them work from this environment.  Any
suggestions?

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski
leow@ufl.edu

"The University of Florida does not endorse or disendorse the content
 of this document.  Everything is the author's private opinion."