Re: locking/unlocking accounts with pam?

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Allen Bolderoff wrote:
> goemon@sasami.anime.net said:
> > I'm looking at the man page for usermod on redhat 5.0 now, and i can't
> > see anywhere that usermod allows locking/unlocking passwords. (NOTE:
> > changing authentication methods is not the same thing as locking/
> > unlocking a shadow password.)
> I got the information from the redhat hurricane (5.0) list - I only remember
> the post by donnie barnes. but upon re-reading my archives, I found another
> post by Cristian Grafton saying he will fix the problem. - it relates to the
> shadow utils rpm BTW.

As of redhat 5.1, 6 months later, passwd still cannot lock accounts.
(And no, usermod or any of the shadow-utils cant do it either)

:-(

> Donnie Barnes in the list said something along the lines of expiring the
> account with today minus 1 day.

By 'lock' I mean inserting a "!" as the first character of the password.
To 'unlock' the password, remove the "!".

Much simpler than fiddling with account expiration (especially when youre
trying to script it! a script should not have to fiddle with calculating
expiration dates).

-Dan