pam_smb_auth.so login requires remote host in /etc/hosts

I've been trying to get pam_smb_auth.so 1.0 working on my RH 5.1
system. It works great for ftp and xdm authentication, but there's a
hitch with login authentication.

I configured the /etc/pam.d/login file exactly as in the example in
the pam_smb README.  When I attempted to login to an account using smb
authentication (* in password field), the telnet session is dropped
after successful user id and password entry when the remote host is
not in the /etc/hosts file.  I can login to an account with a normal
Unix password assigned, and not have the session dropped.

Is this a security feature of pam_smb_auth.so?  If so, is there any
way to disable it?  It will be a real hassle to enter all the hosts
that need telnet access to the box.