Need info (PAM on non-RedHat systems) for autoconf /KDE

Hi

could anyone knowledgeable provide the information asked for
below, or point me towards a place to get it?

I just ported PAM support from xlockmore to the KDE
screensaver "kscreensaver".

Since KDE aims to install on a wide variety of *n*x
platforms, I need to know what other systems besides
RedHat Linux are likely to have PAM (Solaris, etc),
and where to make autoconf look for the configuration
files. I presume all Linux-PAM systems will use
/etc/pam.d/<service_name> (is this OK for RH4.x,
or only for RH4.2?).

I also need to know what modules can be
generically used for authentication.
(pam_pwdb.so on RH5.x of course:
is pam_unix_auth.so a safe generic
alternative; what about Solaris ?)

TIA

Duncan
f.d.m.haldane@MCI2000.com

---------------------------
p.s.:

miraculously, Steffen Hansen's  PAM-support
for KDE's xdm replacement kdm now suddenly
works *perfectly* (including session support)
with pam-pwdb.so in RedHat 5.1, with no change
in the PAM-application code, which
after very detailed examination had always appeared
to be correct, and worked  when put into a standalone
test program :)

[kdm --with-pam worked for RH4.2 but was a *disaster* in 5.0:
calls to various pam_* functions crashed X, in different
(module-dependent) ways.
Must have been some obscure bug in a RH5.0 component,
(maybe in  glibc?) that didn't affect RH5.0 xdm,
but interacted badly with kdm, so the
kde-Beta4 was set --without-pam by default in the rpms  :(]

Duncan Haldane
f.d.m.haldane@MCI2000.com