Re: Integrating ftpd and pam_opie; not getting challenge?

Greg Owen {gowen} writes:
> 	I'm trying to configure a system to use Andy Berkheimer's pam_opie
> module with ftpd.  The system is RedHat 5.0, PAM 0.59, pam_opie 0.21, OPIE
> 2.22.  I have read the archives of this list and the Linux-PAM
> Administrator's Guide, as well as done news/web searches, with no luck.

RedHat's ftp server port of PAM does not support the PAM conversation
mechanism.  The port for PAM only extends to blindly supplying the
username and the password when the conversation function is called for
echoed and non-echoed prompts.  The principle use for PAM in these
contexts is to add custom access control lists.

Jim's statements about protocols seem to be the main blocking feature
here.  I can't help feeling that "extending" the protocol would be the
right way to go... It seems as if this is needed even without needing
to support PAM.  So much to do, so little time...

This sounds like it should be easy to add to something like rcp...

Cheers

Andrew