Re: Slowness w/ large passwd file (fwd)

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:52:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rich Burroughs <rich@paranoid.org>
To: pam-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Slowness w/ large passwd file (fwd)
[snip]
> I've been seeing a kind of weird problem with a new RH5 server that I
> recently built. It's using a fairly large passwd file (close to 11,000
> lines), and when I put that file in place things really slow down on the
> box. Logins take up to several seconds when the server is basically idle,
> and it seems like disk access in general slows way down.
[snip]

I just installed RedHat 5.1 on a test box, and I wanted to follow up with
some new information on this issue.

The incredible slowness that I was seeing when accessing the hard disk is
gone in 5.1. I'm still seeing a real lag in authentication, though. When I
log in at the console, I get a delay of at least 15 seconds before I get a
prompt. The password file is now at over 12,000 users, and the box I was
testing it on is a Pentium 120. The tests I did before sending my original
email included a PII 233 -- I'll see how that box compares to this result.

I'll try some of the various suggestions I've seen previoulsy on this
list. I just wanted to let people know what I'm seeing with the default RH
5.1 setup.

Rich
---
rich@paranoid.org