From:	rich@paranoid.org [mailto:rich@paranoid.org]
Sent:	Wednesday, June 17, 1998 12:05 PM
To:	pam-list@redhat.com
Subject:	Re: Slowness w/ large passwd file (fwd)

Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 09:52:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rich Burroughs <rich@paranoid.org>
To: pam-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Slowness w/ large passwd file (fwd)
[snip]
> I've been seeing a kind of weird problem with a new RH5 server that I
> recently built. It's using a fairly large passwd file (close to 11,000
> lines), and when I put that file in place things really slow down on
the
> box. Logins take up to several seconds when the server is basically
idle,
> and it seems like disk access in general slows way down.
[snip]

I just installed RedHat 5.1 on a test box, and I wanted to follow up
with
some new information on this issue.

The incredible slowness that I was seeing when accessing the hard disk
is
gone in 5.1. I'm still seeing a real lag in authentication, though. When
log in at the console, I get a delay of at least 15 seconds before I get
prompt. The password file is now at over 12,000 users, and the box I was
testing it on is a Pentium 120. The tests I did before sending my
original
email included a PII 233 -- I'll see how that box compares to this
result.

I'll try some of the various suggestions I've seen previoulsy on this
list. I just wanted to let people know what I'm seeing with the default
RH
5.1 setup.

Rich
---