Re: Slowness w/ large passwd file (fwd)

I have updated my RH 5.0 to glibc-2.0.7-13 and I am also still seing a lag
in authentication (hopefully this is done in a test machine and not one in
a real environment).
I have got a bit less delay than you have (with a passwd as large as
yours), but I suppose this is due to the fact that I have a dual PII 300
MHz machine.

Did you manage to solve the problem? Could it be a PAM problem?

I remember the days from RH 4 and I think I didn't have a delay as long as
this one.

Thanks for any info.

AFerreira

Rich Burroughs <rich@paranoid.org> wrote:
>I just installed RedHat 5.1 on a test box, and I wanted to follow up with
>some new information on this issue.
>
>The incredible slowness that I was seeing when accessing the hard disk is
>gone in 5.1. I'm still seeing a real lag in authentication, though. When I
>log in at the console, I get a delay of at least 15 seconds before I get a
>prompt. The password file is now at over 12,000 users, and the box I was
>testing it on is a Pentium 120. The tests I did before sending my original
>email included a PII 233 -- I'll see how that box compares to this result.
>
>I'll try some of the various suggestions I've seen previoulsy on this
>list. I just wanted to let people know what I'm seeing with the default RH
>5.1 setup.
>

>Rich
>---
>rich@paranoid.org

-----
\     Esoterica - Novas Tecnologias de Informacao, S.A.
:-)   Antonio Miguel Ferreira
/     amcf@esoterica.pt
-----'
AccessNet - 067 18 18 - Numero Unico de Acesso
http://www.esoterica.pt/POPs/