External authentication, no entry in /etc/passwd: possible?

Is it at all possible to use an PAM authentication method (such as
pam_lradius) and login without a specific entry for a given user in
/etc/passwd?  I can do RADIUS authentication against an NDS tree that
validates as OK, but without an /etc/passwd entry I'm unable to login,
this makes sense, but..

Is there any way around this?  Some kind of "default" user that a user
who passes a pam_lradius authentication but fails a pwdb authentication can
be rolled over to?  Any way to do it on the fly using the supplied
login credentials?

--
Shawn Barnhart
swb@mercury.campbell-mithun.com