Re: External authentication, no entry in /etc/passwd: possible?

I have this working with netatalk, samba and ftpd.  The problem is that
none of these services will attempt a PAM authentication before they check
the /etc/passwd file for an entry (and a home dir).  So I had to modify
each service's source code such that it would create the account if it
didn't find it.  Now I'm trying to figure out when to automatically delete
an account that fails authentication, because some of the accounts created
are bogus (mistyped or whatever).  I can't assume a bad auth is a bad
account, since the user might have simply mistyped the password.  Hmm...

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski