Re: External authentication, no entry in /etc/passwd: possible?

>>> Shawn Barnhart wrote
> Is it at all possible to use an PAM authentication method (such as
> pam_lradius) and login without a specific entry for a given user in
> /etc/passwd?  I can do RADIUS authentication against an NDS tree that
> validates as OK, but without an /etc/passwd entry I'm unable to login,
> this makes sense, but..

"it depends". What do you mean by "login"? Run a shell, and lots of
different commands? That would probably involve inserting something into
libc. If you instead want to just run a limited set of programs (eg
imapd, popd, ftpd, ...) you can instead just hack those applications to
support what you want. We do this on our primary mailserver - the passwd
file has only the system maintenance accounts in it, nothing else.

Anthony