Re: Linux-PAM and syslog (POSIX) (fwd)

   Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:14:03 -0500 (EST)
   From: Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>

   > Under no circumstances should PAM modules have that sort of imapct
   > on a program.  It is *completely* unreasonable to expect a program to
   > re-open a log file because a PAM modules closed it.

   For the record, my position is too that we should remove all the calls to
   openlog() and closelog() from pam lib and modules.

The right answer is we need a better syslog interface.  The current
syslog interface reminds of the old DBM interface.  Can you imagine what
life would be like if we were still using the old DBM interface, and a
PAM module needed to call dbm_open to access a passwd database, and that
wiped out the call application's open dbm file?  It's the same problem.

What we need is something like an NDBM interface, where you can open a
syslog and get back a handle, which you use when calling new syslog()
function, and then when you close the syslog handle, it doesn't disturb
other syslog handles (including the old default handle which is used for
the compatibility-mode syslog functions).

Now, having said this, anybody want to volunteer to write it?  :-)
The advantage is that as long as we provide compatibility functions, we
can link the PAM modules with the new, improved syslog interface, and
net all the benefits of the new system without needing to change all of
the legacy application code which is using the standard syslog
interface.

						- Ted