Re: Linux-PAM and syslog (POSIX) (fwd)

At 16:59 +1000 on 31/3/98, Andrew Morgan wrote:
>Would it be objectionable to implement logging with a single
>function?:
>
>   pam_system_log(const char *ident, int option, int facility,
>		  int priority, const char *format, ...);

First, we'd have to get people into the habit of doing the same thing with
their application's syslog (ie: only have files open when you're *doing*
stuff). That should settle the argument about syslog. Perhaps an "atomic"
call of this nature is required for the standard syslog interface for
applications?

Second, is PAM going to log as "pam" or as the program using it? I think it
would make more sense to have "program: pam: error message" in the log
files. Going through /var/log/messages today, I had a hard time trying to
link the various pam entries to their respective ftp connections. It gets
worse when I'm trying to link pam entries to httpd logs. They're in two
separate places.

Third... what chance is there of the Linux-PAM (or even just Linux)
community pushing for the "broken" libraries to be fixed? With the "broken"
gethostbyaddr, isn't it just a case that you have to get used to copying
the private data that gethostbyaddr lets you see, rather than depending on
the data at the other end of your pointer staying where you thought it was,
with the value you last saw?  What's "broken" - the library itself, or just
the way people try to use it?

I'll refrain from commenting further, since I'm wandering into territory
that I know nothing about :)

Alex Satrapa

Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
                   http://ucnet.canberra.edu.au/~packrat/windows_sig.html