Re: Linux-PAM and syslog (POSIX) (fwd)

| I, for one, do not see why PAM modules need to log under their own
| facilities.

 I'd like all authentication messages to go to a single place, which in
the current syslogd implementation means them being logged to a single
facility. Logging them that way makes real-time watching much easier
(one broadcasts high-enough priority auth messages to one's workstation
console).

 At the same time, various things using PAM wish to log messages that
are clearly not authentication related -- ftpd logging traffic, say.

 This seems to call for PAM to log to a different facility than what
the main program may be logging to.

	- cks