Re: pwdb question

On Tue, 5 May 1998 alan@cryptocard.com wrote:

> > 	Now, since pwdb shoud handle all accesses to the password
> > databases, shouldn't all applications be linked against libpwdb?
>
>   Perhaps.  But that may be a little much to ask for many
> cross-platform apps.
>
> > Since
> > everybody speaks about the slowliness of a box with more than 2k users,
> > one can think of moving the entire /etc/passwd model to a different thing
> > (like gdbm or sql). Probably pwdb should do this, but a quick check showed
> > me that wu-ftpd, ipop3 and all other usual servers are NOT pwdb-aware. I
> > know, it would take a HUGE amount of work to do it; should somebody do it?
>
>   Another interim solution would be to hack libpwd to be a little
> faster.

	That's not the point. I want some external way to provide libc
with info about users, and, unfortunately, most of the applications ask
libc directly, and NOT pwdb. The nsswitch idea seems interesting enough,
since one shouldn't recompile the entire distribution.

Best wishes,
						Mihai

	Mihai Ibanescu			Dynamic Network Technologies
http://sysadm.dntis.ro/~misa	      Moara de Foc 35, et. 7, 6600 Iasi
	misa@dntis.ro			    tel. +40-32-252936