Re: prompt querying ...

William M. Perry writes:
> "Brad M. Garcia" <bgarcia@fore.com> writes:
> > I believe this is already supported.
> >
> > The conversation function that is supplied by the application is supposed
> > to be able to handle multiple messages.  All that is needed is to update
> > the pam modules (if needed) to send all the questions to the conversation
> > function in one call.
>
>   But sometimes you cannot know the entire sequence, when multiple modules
> are marked as 'sufficient' for a service, etc.  Or if you are using
> radius.

>   Best bet would be to construct the dialog with what the PAM conversation
> gives you, and hope the modules are smart enough to know they need a
> username AND a password and tell you that in one swell foop.

There is some code (X-files?) in my pre release directory that
provides a semi decent X coversation interface.  Its been sitting
there waiting for someone with the right sort of brain to make use of
it...

   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/pre/Xauth.tar.gz

In the most recent incarnation of PAM (0.65) there is also some
support for event driven programming models.. Its untested, so I fully
expect it to have bugs. (Tread carefully and report problems!)  You
might prefer to pursue this avenue -- but its going to be quite a
while before Solaris et al, catch up on that front.

Cheers

Andrew