PAM, nsswitch.conf, and tiny passwd files

  Does anyone know of documentation for implementing new nsswitch
modules?  I was wondering if it would be possible/desirable to have a
'/usr/lib/libnss_pam.so' module.

  i.e. Use PAM for authentication, and then save uid/gid/home
information for nsswitch.conf to pick up later.  (Has anyone done
anything similar?)

  I've looked at NIS & NYS, but they have their own problems.
(i.e. 'slammer', and linking everything against libnsl)

  The application I'm looking at is a number of zero-administration
thin clients, which grab disk images from a server.  Ideally, each
should not have any user-specific configuration.

  It may be possible to use NIS in this application, but customers
will likely want integrated firewall/NAS services, making RADIUS the
obvious choice for global authentication.

  Alan DeKok.