Challenge with PAM, rsh, rlogin

I got ambitious this afternoon with the idea of fixing the use of rsh &
rlogin between my RH5.0 intel and RH4.2 alpha based machines so that
passwords are not required. I've reached the point where I'd better ask
for some guidance...

As an example, the /etc/pam.d/rsh is:

#%PAM-1.0
auth	   required	/lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       sufficient	/lib/security/pam_rhosts_auth.so
auth	   required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    required	/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

while the current host.equiv file is

#
# host.equiv	This file contains the machine addresses for rsh & rlogin
#
192.168.0.3

PAM is at version/release/whatever 0.59.

I will be happy to supply more files or information in exchange for
guidance trouble shooting this.

Thanks to one and all