Re: NIS, shadow, and pam?

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Jim Dennis wrote:
> 	Wouldn't it be nice to use NIS (with SRA) or NIS+ just
> 	for distribution of username/group (and related info)
> 	--- without *any* authentication.  Then to use Kerberos
> 	as the authentication system.

This is almost what we are doing at DHP now.  Kerb5 authentication via
pam, but we are passing password files around with SCP.  I still have
major fears with using anything called NIS, mostly with people injecting
NIS responses saying that say "user panzer is really uid 0"... :)

Speaking of security, is there any known problems with using PWDB that
comes with redhat?  I just upgrated to PRE-D manually, after noticing that
redhat distributes pre-c.

-Matt Drown     -- Privacy, Anonyminity, & Security -- DataHaven Project
 panzer@dhp.com -- Shell and Web accounts           -- http://www.dhp.com/