PAM, passwd and shadow

Hi

I noticed that normal RedHat pammified passwd does some sanity
checks against the password supplied, while shadow-ized one
don't.

my point is that I need the -l | -u switches (to temporarily
lock and unlock an account without changing it's password).
does any one know any patch that I can apply to pammified
passwd to achieve this or will I need to use the shadow-ized
passwd from latest shadow-utils?

Thanks in advance
!3runo