Re: Telling pam that the login prompt is username, not login

Hi Andrew,

At 10:54 AM 5/23/98 -0700, Andrew Morgan <morgan@transmeta.com> wrote:

>See
>
>http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam_modules-2.html#
pam-get-user

>Red Hat replace the default of "Please enter username: " with "login: ".
>You need to override this.  You can do this by inserting the following
>line:
>
>	pam_set_item(pamh, PAM_USER_PROMPT, "username: ");
>
>somewhere before the user gets prompted.  (In the application, this
>would be before the pam_authenticate() line.  In the module it would
>be before the pam_get_user() call.  Alternatively, you could make an
>authentication module that simply sets this variable to the value you
>want and then returns with PAM_IGNORE.  Then, when you want a
>different default, you would just insert your module before the
>pam_pwdb module [only needed before the 'auth' use of pam_pwdb].)

Thanks, I suspect that the module approach is better as it avoids changing
the RedHat stuff. I will have to see if I can manage it.

>I hope this helps.  I hope it was more explicit than last time. ;)

Yup, thanks :-)

>Cheers
>
>Andrew

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe@ns.aus.com, NIC-Handle:RJS96
NS Computer Software and Services P/L,
Ph: +61-8-8281-0063, FAX: +61-8-8250-2080,
Samba, Linux, Apache, Digital UNIX, AIX, Netscape, Stronghold, C, ...