Re: Question concerning PAM modules and root ...

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> they will get... yes, they will get root access to that machine.
>
> you therefore expect your SMB server (i say SMB server which includes an
> NT server not NT server because pam_smb can verify against any SMB server)
> not to have been compromised.
>
> you also expect ordinary users not to have write access to the
> pam-smb.conf file, such that they cannot modify it to point to a random
> SMB server over which they have control.
>
> the NT system of resolving the DOMAIN name into a PDC or BDC is insecure:
> a broadcast lookup is done.  if you get in there quick with your own ip
> address, you can pretend to be a PDC or BDC, and answer pam_smb or
> pam_ntdom login requests.
>
> pam_ntdom and pam_smb do not _do_ this DOMAIN->PDC/BDC broadcast query:
> you must manually name the PDC and BDC (as well as the DOMAIN) in the
> pam-smb.conf file.

Ack...just as a suggestion, but why not something like for ftpd, where you
can have an ftpusers file that lists those that *can't* be authenticated
"offline" can be listed?  something that says no matter what module you
use, these users *must* be authenticatd against the local password file?