pwdb and shadow

Is the following correct (in theory)?

1.  Suppose a program, let's say, pppd, is PAMified (properly),
    but does not explicitly have shadow support compiled in.

2.  pam_pwdb.so is supposed to be able to read shadow files
    (provided that /etc/pwdb.conf is configured properly).

3.  Therefore, isn't it correct to conclude that even though
    a program (e.g., pppd) is not directly compiled for shadow,
    it would still be able to use a shadow file for authentication
    so long as it had access to the pam_pwdb module?

Thanks,
  Seth Chaiklin

P.S.  I know that pppd can be compiled with Shadow support, that
is why I chose this example.  My point/question is that this
is unnecessary if PAM is properly coded into pppd.