Re: PAM && libpwd

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Alan DeKok wrote:

>   I'm also not entirely clear on the necessity for libpwd, PAM, and
> NIS.  The overlap between them is enough that I currently believe that
> most of one is superfluous.  Right now, I'm leaning towards libpwdb.

Whoops, I was trying to ask the same kind of question a message
posted a short time before.

>   That is, libpwd abstracts getpwnam (etc.).  So does NIS.  libpwd
> abstracts authentication.  So does PAM.

What is the functional difference between libpwdb and PAM?   Isn't the
idea that one uses pam_pwdb to get the advantages of libpwdb.  Or do you
mean that you simply use the libpwdb functions in your own programs, and
simply skip over the use of PAM?

Thanks,
  Seth Chaiklin