Does pam_env.so work?

I have been trying to use pam_env.so without success.
There was a mention of a possible bug (back in Jan. 98)
and a promise to eliminate it in pam-0.60.  I have tried
now with pam-0.65 and no success.   Has anyone been
able to use pam_env successfully?

For what it is worth, here is the relevant fragment from
my /etc/pam.d/login

auth       required   pam_nologin.so
auth       required   pam_securetty.so
auth       sufficient pam_unix_auth.so
auth       required   pam_nw_auth.so PSY
auth       required   pam_env.so debug

and then in /etc/security/pam_env.conf

LOGINNAME       DEFAULT=@{PAM_USER}
MANPAGER        DEFAULT=less OVERRIDE=less

I would expect that MANPAGER and LOGINAME would be
set after logging in.  Neither of them are.  Debug
puts nothing into any log files (I have a special test
bed for all priority levels, which is why I say nothing).

Thanks,
  Seth Chaiklin