Re: Does pam_env.so work?

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Andrew Morgan wrote:

> Seth Chaiklin wrote:
> > auth       required   pam_nologin.so
> > auth       required   pam_securetty.so
> > auth       sufficient pam_unix_auth.so
> > auth       required   pam_nw_auth.so PSY
> > auth       required   pam_env.so debug
>
> What happens if you place the pam_env before the pam_unix line?

Then it works with the login from SimplePAMApps, but not with
the login from util-linux (which Derrick Brashear already explained).

When I first moved pam_env.so to after the other auth lines,
I thought, will this make any difference, naa, they are all
auth lines, and it has nothing to do with password checking,
and it is probably better to set environment variables
after the authentication.  Why was that bad logic?

Thanks,
  Seth