Re: pwdb and shadow

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Nalin Dahyabhai wrote:

> > I'm glad that you mention this idea.  It raises what seems like a kind of
> > contradiction (to me at least) between pwdb.so and other modules.

> > If I understand what you want to do, then you do not need to use or
> > modify pwdb.so at all.  You simply use the pam_smb module that is
> > available.

> My understanding of pam_smb might be flawed then.  I was under the
> impression that pam_smb only relayed authentication requests to a PDC.

If all you're looking to get out of the psamba password file is the
password (and not stuff like groups, homedirs, etc), then he is correct
in principle, he just got the name of the module wrong. :)  pam_smb will
only do network authentication agains a PDC.  There's another module out
there, one that I wrote, called pam_smbpass which provides the
authentication procedure you want.

If on the other hand, you're looking to get other info out of the file,
libpwdb (or glibc's nss) would be the appropriate solution; however, the
samba passwd file doesn't currently contain the information that would be
needed to handle a unix login, and if you add it to yours there's no
guarantee that it will be compatible with future samba format changes...

-Steve Langasek