Re: ssh & opie

On Mon, Nov 23, 1998 at 07:42:49AM -0800, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> > I wasn't satisfied by our results.  Sshd code looks as a real mess
> > in authentication functions because the authors want to support
> > every authentication kludge for every OS.  My PAM additions make the
> > code looks worse.
>
> Actually, I strongly disagree with this.  The original code is so
> spaghetti-like I think the PAM patch we developed cleans some things up.

I expressed my personal opinion :-)

> I actually make use of this ssh'd+PAM patch every day.  So far as I can
> see, the main problem with this patch is that it is not part of the
> official sources.  Consequently, its possible that the transport
> protocol numbers it uses are likely to be trampled on without warning.

I use the patched sshd every day too.  But I'd prefer to see much more
clear code than we've got.  I even thought about a new attempt to rich
PAM and sshd integration.  It's pity that ssh v2 with more straight
code at the same time has the much less friendly license.

Best wishes
					Andrey V.
					Savochkin