locking password maps

Hello,

I'm in the process of writing some system administration tools in order to
tie together my employer's SQL-based user accounting system and the UNIX
accounts themselves. I need to maintain integrity of the password maps
during updates. Up to this time I thought that lckpwdf()/ulckpwdf() would
suffice, however I have discovered that Linux implementations differ on
password-locking semantics (Red Hat 5.1).

For example, usermod and its brethren use lckpwdf()/ulckpwdf() but passwd
uses its own locking scheme, which is obviously not a good thing. Is there
any effort to unify these to use a single scheme? for the record, I also
checked on Solaris 2.6 and the Solaris 2.6 passwd does use the same
locking semantic as usermod (presumably lckpwdf()/ulckpwdf()) as near as I
can determine from the system-call traces.

Cheers,
Orly