Re: SimplePAMApps-0.59 release

On Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 01:25:54PM -0800, Christopher McCrory wrote:
> Savochkin Andrey Vladimirovich wrote:
> >
> > This weekend I made a new SimplePAMApps release.
>
> > * Protection against std{in,out,err} abuse was implemented for setuid-root
> >   programs (`su' and `passwd').
> >

> 	I haven't checked your new release so this might have changed.
>
> 	I use NIS with pam_unix_* on my machines (redhat).  I seem to remember
> that with non-pam distros the passwd program would detect that NIS was
> being used tell the user to use yppasswd instead.  Was this

With PAM you don't need any hack in the passwd program itself.
You need to plug a module which recognizes that the user's password is stored
in NIS and print a message or update the NIS password.

I don't use NIS but I suspect that pam_pwdb module is able to update NIS
passwords.  So the common passwd program will work both for UNIX and NIS
passwords.

> functionality left out on purpose or am I missing something?  My
> programing skills are not up to changing a suid root program, so I don't
> even want to try to change it :)
>
> 	Is anyone working on integrating pam into yppasswd?

I don't think it makes a sense.

Best regards
					Andrey V.
					Savochkin