Re: locking/unlocking passwords

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> Dan Hollis writes:
> >Will passwd or usermod ever support locking/unlocking passwords?
> usermod can set the epire date in the past, which is a common way of
> locking passwords.

Not all apps look at expire date eg this wont work for radius or pppd. And
especially if it has to be scripted, programs shouldnt have to be doing
date calculations in order to suspend/unsuspend accounts.

The traditional (eg works universally) way is to put a "!" in front of the
encrypted password.

A couple of us asked about this back in RH5.0 days and were told it would
be fixed in the next RH release. Its now almost RH6.0 and its still not
there.

If I submit a patch to support "!" locking will it be rejected?

-Dan