Re: pop3 and sendmail?

Matthew Hixson writes:
>reputable,
>   adj: having a good reputation

Sorry, since the patch for uw imap has been around for almost three
years, and may have been integrated into the official sources (I
have not looked) I thought that you probably had rejected it...
When I asked you to define it, I was really asking for what shades
of meaning you had assigned to it in this context beyond the
dictionary definition.  And then I accidentally wrote "irreputable"
instead of "disreputable" <blush>.  Too little sleep.

>That sounds like it would work just fine.  I am just looking for a PAMed pop3
>server that has been widely used and is known to be stable.

Great.  I suggest looking through the source code to Red Hat Linux
for pamified applications.  We pamified pretty much everything that
would benefit from it nearly three years ago and have been maintaining
those patches (and often getting them integrated into the official
versions of applications) ever since.  I konw of no significant
problems with the versions of the pamified applications in Red Hat
Linux.  The source is there... :-)

>When mail arrives at hostname.com the machine has to see if a user with the
>name that the email is addressed to actually exists on that machine. I was
>thinking that the delivery agent could use PAM to at least see that there is
>actually a user with that name.

That's really not what PAM was designed for.  You want NSS modules for
this and the standard {g,s}etpw{nam,uid} interface.

>  I'm curious as to how people are using a PAMified POP3 server, to presumably
>get user info from somewhere other than /etc/passwd, while at the same time
>using sendmail for those same users.  How does the delivery agent know to check
>for valid usernames if it is not also PAMified?

There needs to be more integration than what PAM could provide here -- PAM
doesn't provide information like where the maildrops are, just like it does
not provide information about users' home directories.  NSS modules provide
a bit more of this -- the standard {g,s}etpw{nam,uid} interface -- but you
might well need to do more cusomization.

Hope that helps,

michaelkjohnson

 Linux Application Development       http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad/