Re: pop3 and sendmail?

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> >  I'm curious as to how people are using a PAMified POP3 server, to presumably
> >get user info from somewhere other than /etc/passwd, while at the same time
> >using sendmail for those same users.  How does the delivery agent know to check
> >for valid usernames if it is not also PAMified?
>
> There needs to be more integration than what PAM could provide here -- PAM
> doesn't provide information like where the maildrops are, just like it does
> not provide information about users' home directories.  NSS modules provide
> a bit more of this -- the standard {g,s}etpw{nam,uid} interface -- but you
> might well need to do more cusomization.

I was thinking that a PAMified delivery agent could see if a user exists by
trying to authenticate it using the PAM library.  Of course, you're not going
to know the user's password so the authentication call would always fail, but
you could see whether or not it returned PAM_USER_UNKNOWN.  If that was
returned then there is no such user here.  If it is not returned and you get a
PAM_AUTH_ERR instead then you could assume that there is a user by that name.
  Yes, PAM would not provide you with the user's home directories or anything
else.  The delivery agent would do all of that work.  Knowing that mail for
user bob has just arrived your delivery agent would check for a user named bob
and then just store the mail in /var/spool/mail/bob or wherever you had told
your user agent to store users' email.
  -M@

--
Matthew Hixson - CIO			"Noone's ever tried this before."
FroZenWave Communications		"That's why its going to work."