Re: pop3 and sendmail?

On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Matthew Hixson wrote:

> I was thinking that a PAMified delivery agent could see if a user exists by
> trying to authenticate it using the PAM library.  Of course, you're not going
> to know the user's password so the authentication call would always fail, but
> you could see whether or not it returned PAM_USER_UNKNOWN.  If that was
> returned then there is no such user here.  If it is not returned and you get a
> PAM_AUTH_ERR instead then you could assume that there is a user by that name.

This is what you suggest:
You want to see if a local user exists (using mechanism "A"). Then if the
user exists you want to see where the mailbox is (using mechanism "B").

This is what is done:
You see if a user exists using machanism "C". the answer is either "No",
in which case you bounce the email. Or the answer is "Yes, the mailbox is
/blah/blah", in which case you store the mail in the mailbox.

Using the latter method not only you have used one mechanism (less bugs,
less maintenance, etc.), but also you have only made one call to an
external mechanism (faster).

Is it just me or others do not see any benifit in doing the former either?

Hossein