Re: pop3 and sendmail?

Matthew,

Since you want to avoid needing NSS, you then plan on patching /bin/ls and
just about anything that needs to look up a username from a uid, and so
forth, to use PAM as well, right? And you're going to handle all the cases
where the backend you're using crashes, intentionally delays requests,
locks you out, or otherwise misbehaves when a TON of requests come in
simply because I receive a few peices of mail for various users and
someone also happens to ls -alR /. Of course not, and neither are the
people who actually are writing the code -- they've shown that they prefer
to go the NSS route and write things like the ldap nss module to back
that.

PAM may be a nice hammer, but the problem you describe just doesn't look
like a nail to me... It's NSS's job and the amout of "messing" you have to
do is very small, you install the ldap (or whatever) nss module at the
same time as you install the pam half of things, and you edit
/etc/nsswitch.conf or whatever it's called. All done. No sources to patch.

Also, I'm sure having it delivered to you just the way you want with even
less system administration sounds good to _you_ but keep in mind that it
needs to sound good to the person _writing_ the code. ;-) That's the neat
part about free software.

jim

--
"[T]hey said something to the effect that Linux has 'the tendency not to
crash.' ... It's like me listing 'the tendency not to murder people' as one of