MD5 passwords with pwdb

All-

	First off, thanks for the info on FTP daemons.  I installed
proFTPd, and it seems to be working fine in the testing I've done so
far.

	Now that I'll have a completely PAM-clean installation (or I
will shortly) I thought I would try using the MD5 capability in pwdb.
I changed my password ok, but when I tried to change the root
password, it didn't convert it to MD5.  That was with a straight
'passwd' command from the command line.  Running 'passwd root' from
the command line converted the passwd to md5 format ok.  My question
is: is this an intentional decision to discourage MD5 root passwords,
or is it an unintentional 'feature'.  Are there security (or other)
issues I'm overlooking in making theconversion to MD5?

-mike