Re: PAM_pwdb reports user as root

>Why is PAM reoprting this?
>
>Apr 17 17:28:47 olympus PAM_pwdb[5420]: (login) session opened for user
jsmith by tjones(uid=0)

>When user jsmith, or any other user for that matter, attempts to login, PAM
claims that tjones is root,
>or at least `uid=0`.  The /etc/group properly says that uid 0 belongs only
to root.

>Another odditty -- whenever I ftp to another site, as root, the default
username that appears is tjones --
>not root.  Since there is no .netrc file in the /root directory, where is
the system picking this tjones up
>from?
>What gives?

My guess is that you have multiple uid 0 accounts, at least root and tjones.
It isn't a good idea to have
multiple root accounts; either trust the users you are giving root access
with the password to the single
"root" account, or use "sudo" and limit what the users can do with root
privileges.