PAM S.O.S

I have installed openldap in the suggested order with ldapns and passwd, which is supposed to fix a bug in pam, on a redhat 5.2.
Once configured with ldapinit -m and ldapmigrate, I tried made a lookup
with netscape communicator address book on the database, then I got "no
such object". This is not a big problem since I am trying to set up ldap
with no success since many weeks. The problem is that I got an unusual
error messge when did "ps -ax". The message was "/bin/ps too many files
open" so I shutdown the system and when rebooting, the system hanged up
when running named:
I renamed named to namedbak, and the system hanged when running dhcpd
I renamed dhcpd to dhcpdbak, and the system hanged when running
sendmail, then smbd, ...
finally after renaming many files, the system went to the login prompt
but now I takes long time to verify my password for then refuising my
connection with no further message.

FAthi Ben NAsr.