telnet auth problems

Ok here is the problem, if anyone can help please let me know.

I installed redhat on two identical machines, and both have beed running
fine. however, all of a sudden I could no longer telnet to one of them. I
thought at first that the password file had been corrupted. But I am able
to ftp to that machine and check mail from it. It is just when I telnet to
it that it fails.

here is a screen capture of the failed login:

Red Hat Linux release 5.2 (Apollo)
Kernel 2.0.36 on an i686
junior.pgh-tech.com login: joeuser
Password:
Login incorrect

These are logins to two other systems with the same configuration

Red Hat Linux release 5.2 (Apollo)
Kernel 2.0.36 on an i586
login: joeuser
Password:
You have new mail.
[joeuser@baskerville /joeuser]#

Red Hat Linux release 5.2 (Apollo)
Kernel 2.0.36 on an i686
login: joeuser
Password:
Last login: Sun Apr 25 10:18:37 from imaginae.com
You have new mail.
[joeuser@sprocket joeuser]$

One thing that I never noticed before was that the system at the login
prompt is telling me what the host name is at the prompt.

Does anyone have any ideas?