Re: PAM S.O.S

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Fathi Ben Nasr wrote:

> I have installed openldap in the suggested order with ldapns and passwd,
> which is supposed to fix a bug in pam, on a redhat 5.2.
[...]
> error messge when did "ps -ax". The message was "/bin/ps too many files
> open" so I shutdown the system and when rebooting, the system hanged up
> when running named:
> I renamed named to namedbak, and the system hanged when running dhcpd
> I renamed dhcpd to dhcpdbak, and the system hanged when running
> sendmail, then smbd, ...

Could it be that the ldapns (?) code doing name lookups is failing, firing off
too many requests thus chewing up all available open files?  I mean commands
like "ps" and "named" would all be doing lookups of some description (be it
for users or hosts), so that could be the cause.

I'd rename all the files back to their original state, rollback the ldapns
stuff and try again.

> finally after renaming many files, the system went to the login prompt
> but now I takes long time to verify my password for then refuising my
> connection with no further message.

If your logins have become configured to use LDAP as authoritative, and the
LDAP server can't find your login/account object, then this could very well be
the visible symptom.

Cheers..

dave