help!

First off, my apologies if my problems aren't PAM related. right now, i
really don't have a clue as to what the problem is. hopefully, even if PAM
isn't the culprit that someone on this list can steer me straight.

i am running RedHat Linux 5.1, qpopper and wu-ftpd.

background:
i am using this machine to host several virtual domains. in order to keep
the accounts for the users of these domains seperate, i have a seperate
virtual file system for each domain. according to the ip address of the
domain, i do a chroot from inetd.conf to run each service in the virtual
file system for the domain appropriate to the service request. as such, each
of these virtual file systems is a pared back version of a normal linux file
system. for the problems i describe below, i am almost certain that the
problem is not a missing file; i say this because i can replicate the
problem even when i copy *all* the files of my normal system (which does not
have these problems) into a virtual file system. (the exception is the proc
directory; i don't understand what this directory is for and it doesn't seem
to like being copied like a normal directory.)

i am having two problems.

one:
a user can log into the pop server (qpopper) on my machine without any
problems, except for the fact that if they type their password in wrong, the
server appears to immediately die. the upshot of all this is that the
Netscape mail client doesn't realize that the password was incorrect, so it
won't ask you for a password again until you exit and restart Netscape. this
is just a minor annoyance, but one that i'd like to see go away.

two:
a user can log into the ftp server (wu-ftpd) on my machine without any
problems, except for the fact that if they type their password in wrong the
ftp server goes haywire and begins to eat up all the cpu time. if a second
log in attempt is made, the entire machine locks up.

i don't know that PAM is the culprit here, per se, but the problem is
definitely an authorization problem. does anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
david

--
        j. david farber