Re: help!

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, David Farber wrote:
> i can replicate the
> problem even when i copy *all* the files of my normal system (which does not
> have these problems) into a virtual file system. (the exception is the proc
> directory; i don't understand what this directory is for and it doesn't seem
> to like being copied like a normal directory.)

David,
  The /proc filesystem contains information about currently running processes
and various kernel internals.  It doesn't copy like a normal directory because
it isn't one.
  I don't really have a clue as to why your servers are dying unless you are
somehow preventing them from seeing something they need in the /proc
subdirectories.  As far as I know you can only create one instance of /proc (I
suppose you could modify the source to make more copies, but that is left as an
excersize for the reader).
  I would suggest allowing your servers to start normally (without chrooting
them) and see if things run as they're supposed to.
  -M@

--
Matthew Hixson - CIO	"Noone has ever tried anything like this before."
FroZenWave Communications		"That's why its going to work."