RH 6 IMAP server problem with PAM?

Server-setup:
RH 5.9 + a lot of Rawhide updates. I consider the server
almost RH 6.0 (I haven't had time for a full RH 6 update yet).

The normal users have "x" as password in /etc/passwd
and "!!" as password in /etc/shadow

The server runs Samba (2.0.3). I'm using the pam_smb
(v. 1.5) module to authenticate IMAP/POP3 logins.
This is my /etc/pam.d/imap file:
#%PAM-1.0
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_smb_auth.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok use_first_pass
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

This means: First, try asking Samba if the user/pass is
OK; if that fails, ask the normal Unix password system.
The latter should always fail for normal users (as the
normal users have invalid Unix passwords).

When using the IMAP RPM from either RH5.9/Rawhide/RH6.0,
all IMAP/POP3 logins are refused.

When downgrading to the IMAP RPM from RH 5.2, there
is no problem.

Now, I won't report this as a RH 6 bug yet, as my server
is not a real RH 6.0 server yet. But: Is someone else
having problems with the IMAP RPM in RH 6.0 when using
other authentication schemes than the normal
passwd/shadow setup?

--
Troels Arvin
Copenhagen, Denmark