Re: Problem with Redhat 6.0

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Robert Milkowski wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Balaji Ramani wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I upgraded from 5.2 to 6.0 yesterday.  After the upgrade any user with a
> > null password field could not log.  If the password field is non-null (a
> > valid encrypted password), then the user can log on.  But in 5.2, users
> > were able to log on with a password field in /etc/passwd.  Can someone
> > help me here?
> vi /etc/pam.d/(ssh|login|...) ?

I finally solved the problem myself.  It looks like libpwdb has a problem
(bug?) with null fields in the /etc/passwd file.  I made a patch for it
and fixed it.  So, now users who don't have an official password will not
be prompted for one and can login.  I think I will send this patch to the
maintainer of pwdb.

Just curious, but has anyone faced a similar problem with 6.0 or is just
me? ;-)

Balaji