Re: Problem with Redhat 6.0

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Matthieu Araman wrote:

> Balaji Ramani wrote:

> > > vi /etc/pam.d/(ssh|login|...) ?
> >

> hello, I don't have RH6 but on RH5.2 you have by default the nullok in each pam
> configuration file (after pwdb)
> Perhaps RH6 ships with this option disabled, which would be more secure.
> In fact, this is better to disallow all null passwords and even use md5 (with
> shadow)
> I think this is explained in the RedHat documentation.
>
> Matthieu Araman

RH6.0 also ships with nullok option set.  But this option is for the PAM
library.  The PAM library uses the pwdb library to get the unix password.
After going through the sources yesterday, I found out that the change has
been with the pwdb library in which caused the problem.  After fixing the
pwdb library, without any changes to the PAM library and settings, things
worked as before the upgrade.

The main reason I don't like to have passwords on my machine is because it
is my home computer.

Balaji