printing authentication failure

I have a Red Hat 5.1 linux server with window98 clients.  I think my
samba is working because I can see my other computers and shared disk.
I have not changed any content in /etc/pam.d.  My problem is with
printing from Win98 client to my linux server.   Viewing
/var/log/messages, I can see - " PAM_pwdb[xxxx]: 1 authentication
failure: (uid=0) -> topaz for samba service".  Printing locally at the
Linux server works.

Has anyone encountered this problem?    I have searched Red Hat and
can't find any specific reference to this problem.   Any help or advice
is very much appreciated.

Below is part of my "smb.conf".  Star is my printer name, which in the
near future I will have several printers.
; NOTE: There is NO need to specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
;  path = /var/spool/samba
   path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
   valid users = ruby topaz amethyst jade diamond emerald
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
; Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   public = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

[star]