Re: wakeup events.. thoughts?

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Tuomo Pyhala wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, Tani Hosokawa wrote:
>
> > Another thing that might be irritating, is X.  Someone logs in, goes into
> > X, then the wakeup event is triggered... what ought to happen?  I'd like a
> > little window to appear and allow me to enter in the password, I wouldn't
> > want it to kill off X so I could get console...
>
> Imo. It definitely should start xlock or similar. API should be of course
> defined in a way, that application gets informed about need to
> reauthenticate and it is up to application what it decides to do after
> that.

The application shouldn't have anything to do with it... You should be
able to run arbitrary code and still have it interrupted.  There could be
a special signal that's sent when the user deauthenticates, but shortly
after, it should kill -9 the processes.  Otherwise, what's to stop people
from bringing in arbitrary programs that ignore deauthentication?

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet