pam with external auth server

Hi All,
   I've a deamon which processes requests for incoming connections.
   These incoming sessions are authenticated using PAM with RADIUS.
   I don't want to my daemon to block when a RADIUS authentication
   request is sent out. Instead, make PAM return the socket it
   openned to send the reqeust and the daemon would add to the list.
   When a reply is received from the RADIUS server, it'll be passed
   on the PAM module - which do a cleanup and retrun any attributes
   pertaining to the session back to my daemon. The approach I'd like
   to take is using CONTINUATIONS and FSM, and a custom conversation
   function.

   I'm new to PAM, and appreciate any advice on the above approach.

   sabrina